Career In Interior Design
- Actuarial science
- Aeroneutical Engineer
- Air force
- Air -Hostess
- Clinical Research
- Foreign Languages
- Home Science
- Information Technology
- Interior Design
- Tourism and Travels
Interior design is a creative process that understands client’s need, creates a conceptual design, reviews design and creates the perfect atmosphere for the space's intended purpose. Interior design aims to arrange living space to attain greater functionality. The interior decoration deals with environmental psychology, architecture, product design, color, concept, proportion, ergonomics, balance and function of design.The interior decoration now has become very specialized field i.e. one can specialize in residential or commercial or landscape design. The career in Interior decoration is one of the fastest growing career fields in India.
Interior decoration of rooms at homes, offices, retail shops, showrooms, hotels, airports, exhibition halls, conference centres, educational institutes, hospitals, theatres, TV and film studios and commercial establishments etc. has become a routine practice. The career prospects ranges from starting own firms to working as a designer (for malls, hotels and design companies).Fresh graduates of interior design get employment with architects or in large architecture firms, building contractors, hotels and resorts. The public sector has a large demand for interior designers especially in town planning bureaus, metropolitan and regional development departments and the public works department. Part time or self-employment is good job option in interior decoration field. Indian Interior designers have huge demand in foreign countries.
This profession is lucrative and fulfilling.The earnings of interior design professionals depends on talent, attitude, specialization and the size of firm. Fresh graduates may receive monthly salaries of Rs.10,000-30,000. The experienced interior designers get Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 95,000 monthly. The creative, talented, experienced and independtly working professionals earn very high remunerations.
The eligibility for Interior design courses is 12th passed with 55% aggregate in Maths/Biology, Physics, Chemistry and English. However, many part time one year diploma courses being run in every city requires very minimal qualification.
- Creative expression and imaginative.
- Good sense of colour.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to promote new ideas.
- Good listening skills.
- Good budgeting and planning skills.
- Organization skills.
- Knowledge about computer-aided design, artworks, building materials, infrastructure, texture and lightings.
- Ability to accept criticism
- Excellent communication skills.
If you record “Yes” for maximum questions then it indicates that you have potential for perusing career in the field of Interior decoration.
- Do I have creative expression and imaginative power?
- Do I have a good sense of colour?
- Do I have ability to work independently and ability to promote ideas?
- Do I am a good listener with regard to clients’ needs and desires?
- Do I have good budgeting and planning skills?
- Am I highly organized and ability to handle stress due to deadlines?
- Do I have knowledge about computer-aided design, artworks, building materials, infrastructure, texture and lightings?
- Do I have excellent communication skill?
- Do I have perceptive and probing mind?
- Am I aware of recent styles designing styles?
- Do I have creativity with artistic visualization?
- Do I have logical mind and balanced attitude?
- Do I like systematic way of working?
- Do I keep myself updated with interior decoration?
- Do I like to work as a team member?
- Do I have problem solving ability?
There are huge career opportunities for interior design professionals. They can find employment with independent architects or in large architectural firms, building contractors, hotels and resorts. The public sector especially town planning bureaus, metropolitan and regional development departments and public works department employ interior decorators. This also provides good career opportunites for those who want work as part time and those who aspire to be self-employed.
- Interior designer
Work descriptions: The interior decorators advise clients on selection of colour schemes, layouts, lighting, furniture, floor coverings, paint, wallpaper, hardware products and much more. They may provide sketches, designs, specifications and cost estimates for client approval. They may supervise and coordinate the installation and arrangement of furniture and furnishings during renovations.
- Interior decoration firms.
- Hotels and resorts.
- Educational institutes.
- Architectural firms.
- TV and film studios.
- Town planning bureaus.
- Metropolitan and regional development departments and
- Public works department.
Courses in Interior design/Decoration
Certificate Course in Interior Design
- Arch Academy of Design, Jaipur (Rajasthan)
- Blitz Institute of Creative Arts (BICA), Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh)
- National Institute of Fashion Design, Chandigarh www.nifd.net
Diploma in Interior Design
- Academy of Art and Design, Nerul (Maharashtra)
- Auxilium School of Interior Design, Chennai (Tamil Nadu)
- Blitz Institute of Creative Arts (BICA) , Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh)
- Rachna Sansad School of Interior Design, Mumbai
- National Institute of Fashion Design, Chandigarh
- School of Interior Design, Centre for Environmental Planning Technology (CEPT) Ahmedabad
- UB&A Architecture and Education, Noida
Advance Diploma in Interior Design
- Arch Academy of Design, Jaipur (Rajasthan) 3 year programme.
- Avinashilingam University for Women, Coimbatore
- Bliz Institute of Creative Arts (BICA), Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh) www.bicarts.com
- Global Institute of Fashion Technology (GIFT) , Kolkata
- International Institute of Fine Arts IIFA, Jaipur (Rajasthan) /
- INIFD, Andheri (W) and Pune (Maharashtra) and Chandigarh www.nifd.net
- UB&A Architecture and Education, Noida
- International Institute of Fashion Design, Chandigarh. www.inifd.com
Bachelor in Interior Design (3 years)
- National Institute of Fashion Design, Chandigarh, www.nifd.net
- J.J School of Arts, Mumbai Professional program in Interior Design (Bachelor of Fine-Arts (BFA) Interior Design is offered as a specialization, 4 year program).
- School of Interior Design in the Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology (CEPT), Ahmedabad.
Bachelor of Interior Design, 5 years programme.
- Avinashilingam Institute for Home Science & Higher Education for Women, New Delhi
- Karavali college, 3 years - Bachelor of Science in Interior Design and Decoration
- Rachna Sansad School of Interior Design, Mumbai, 4 years - Bachelor of Fine Arts
Master Diploma in Interior design (MDID)
- Institute for Interior Design, Bangalore (Karnataka)
- St. Francis Institute of Art and Design (SFIAD), Mumbai (Maharashtra)
Master of Interior Design
- Arvindbhai Patel Institute of Environmental Design (APIED), Vallabh Vidyanagar (Gujarat)
- Raffles Millennium International, Chennai (Tamil Nadu).
- St. Francis Institute of Art and Design, Mumbai
Post Graduate Diploma in Interior Design
- Apeejay Institute of Design, New Delhi (Delhi)
- Avinashilingam University for Women, Coimbatore (Tamil Nadu)
- St.Francis Institute of Art and Design (SFIAD), Mumbai (Maharashtra)
Computer Aided Interior Design
- Arch Academy of Design, Jaipur (Rajasthan)
- Academy of Art and Design Mumbai ( Maharashtra ) www.academyart.edu
- Apeejay Institute of Design, Delhi www.apeejay.edu
- Arch Academy of Design, Jaipur www.archedu.org
- Arvindbhai Patel Institute of Environmental Design (A.P.I.E.D., Vidyanagar) www.apied.edu.in
- Avinashilingam University for Women, Coibatore, www.avinuty.ac.in
- Blitz Institute of Creative Arts (B.I.C.A.), Varanasi www.bicarts.com
- Cadence Academy www.cadenceacademy.com
- Global Institute of Fashion Technology (G.I.F.T.), Kolkata www.giftinstitute.org
- I.I.F.A. India , Jaipur www.iifaindia.com
- India International Trade Centre (I.I.T.C.), Mumbai www.iitcworld.com
- INIFD Pune, Andheri www.nifd.net
- Institute for Interior Design, Bangalore www.iiid.org
- Institute of Design, Chennai www.id.iit.edu
- Inter National Institute of Fashion Design (I.N.I.F.D.),Chandigarh www.inifd.com
- International Institute of Fashion Technology (I.I.F.T.), New Delhi www.iiftindia.net
- New Institute of Fashion Design (N.I.F.D.) www.nifd.net
- Rachna Sansad School of Design Mumbai www.rachanasansad.in
- Srujan Institute of Technology and Managemen, Dombivli (E) , Thane www.srujan.net.in
- St. Francis Institute of Art and Design (S.F.I.A.D.) Borivali (W) , Mumbai www.sfartinstitute.com
- The University School of Design,Mysore www.usdmysore.com
Reputed interior decoration institutes conducts entrance examinations to test the aptitute of aspiring students.
Study in USA
- Andrews University www.andrews.edu
- Arizona State University www.asu.edu
- Auburn University www.auburn.edu
- Drake University www.drake.edu
- Baylor University www.baylor.edu
- Central Michigan University www.cmich.edu Study in Canada
- Ryerson University, (Ontario) www.ryerson.ca/home_nf.htm
- University of Manitoba, (Manitoba) www.umanitoba.ca