Career In Mathematics
- Actuarial science
- Aeroneutical Engineer
- Air force
- Air -Hostess
- Clinical Research
- Foreign Languages
- Home Science
- Information Technology
- Interior Design
- Tourism and Travels
Mathematics is the study of form, structure, operations and relationships. Mathematics is applied to various fields such as engineering, computers, physics, astronomy, commerce, logistics, production, planning and development, biological sciences, medical sciences, social sciences, etc. Mathematics provides the variety of career paths. One survey has shown that the top three best jobs in terms of income and other factors were careers suited for math majors. The recent survey shows that the top 15 highest-earning college degrees have mathematics as a common element. Advanced skills in mathematics are a must in many science-related careers. A degree in maths is also a strong background for many computer science and computer engineering jobs. The careers in maths ranges from architects to astronauts.
Applied Mathematics having applications in areas of data interpretation, astronomy, quantitative techniques and inventory management. Statistical techniques are also areas of applied mathematics. Applied mathematics careers flourish in areas of computer science, scientific computing, statistical methods and actuarial science. Leading manufacturing enterprises appoint applied mathematics scholars for management and operational research studies. With the proliferation of information technology, the use of computational mathematics has increased manifold.
It mainly depends on academic qualifications, training, experience, location, responsibility and employer. Private sector especially foreign companies provide attractive pay packages. The salaries in this sector ranges from Rs.10,000-Rs.1,50,000 per month.
Graduation (B.A. Maths/B.Com/B.Sc Maths) or post-graduation in the field of Mathematics (M.A.Maths/M.Sc Maths) to do advance careers in mathematics.
- Passion for numbers.
- A scientific aptitude.
- Ability to work orderly, patiently and methodically.
- Good documentation skills.
- Good computer skills.
- Problem solving, analyzing and interpreting skills.
- Profound knowledge of the core subject.
- Perseverance and hard work
- A curious bent of mind and commitment.
If you record “Yes” for maximum questions then it indicates that you have potential for perusing career in the field of Mathematics.
- Do I like to play with numbers?
- Do I have analytical skills?
- Do I like to work for several hours (8-12hrs or more) per daye?
- Do I think logically and then take decisions?
- Do I have computing and interpreting skills?
- Do I accept unsolved mathematics problems as a challenge?
- Do I give utmost importance to the accuracy?
- Am I ready to learn and adapt new techniques?
- Research: Mathematicians are concerned with particular problems related to logic, space, transformations and numbers. . Many Indian and foreign Universities are in search of good mathematician for research work. The premier institute like National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) also requires mathematicians for various projects.
- Teaching: The teaching of mathematics from primary to Post-graduate level is a high-demand field. There is more need of teachers in the near future. Teaching is a good paid job. Some Maths teachers make a lot of money in giving coaching or tuition to students.
- Actuarial science: The knowledge of mathematics and statistics applied in the finance and insurance field.
- Operations Research: It is an interdisciplinary branch of mathematics that uses advanced analytical methods such as mathematical modelling and mathematical optimization to arrive at optimal solutions to complex decision-making problems. The operation research analyst requires an advanced knowledge of mathematics and better computer skills.
- Computer sciences: The mathematicians with their training in logical and precise thinking are highly prized in the field of computer sciences. The applications of mathematics has increased in the field of computer programming. Mathematics has direct applications in robotics and artificial intelligence.
- Biomathematics: Mathematical biology or biomathematics is an interdisciplinary field. It models natural and biological processes using mathematical techniques and tools. It has applications in cellular neurobiology, epidemic modelling and population genetics.
- Cryptography: It is the practice and study of hiding information. Cryptography is considered to be a branch of both mathematics and computer science. Cryptography has applications in the security of ATM cards and computer passwords.
- Finance: Mathematicians build models to predict the behaviour of financial markets. Several schools offer Master's degrees in Financial Mathematics. Mathematics has numerous applications in the field of banking. The Chartered Accountant with knowledge of mathematics can do wonders in his/her field.
- Social sciences: It finds many applications in population studies and other related studies.
- Self-employment: Mathematicians can serve as Scientific and technical consultants, software firms, software consultants, finance consultants, Math’s’ tutors, etc
- Actuary: They apply knowlege of mathematics in the field of insurance, pension plans, etc to minimize the economical loss.
- Computer scientist: Interface the technology of computers with the underlying mathematical principles. They find applications of maths in medical diagnoses, graphics animation, interior design, cryptography and parallel computer processing.
- Cryptologist: Design and analyse schemes used to transmit secret information.
- Designer: The use of computer graphics and mathematical modelling for cost-effective manufacturing of products.
- Economist: Interpret and analyse the interrelationships among factors which drive the economics of a particular organization or industry or country.
- Environmental mathematician: He/She helps to understand the environmental issues using mathematical dynamics.
- Geophysical mathematician: Develops the mathematical basis for seismic imaging tools used in the exploration and production of oil and gas reservoirs.
- Inventory strategist: Analyse historical sales data, model forecast uncertainty to design contingency plans and analyse catalogue displays to make them more successful.
- Mathematics professor: Teach mathematics classes, do theoretical research, and advise undergraduate and graduate students at colleges and universities. Teaching mathematics to students at primary/secondary/college/University level is highly enjoyable activity.
- Research scientist: Try to apply knowledge of mathematics to solve the problems
- Robotics engineer: Combine mathematics, engineering and computer science in the study and design of robots. There are many more job opportunities available.
- Colleges, Universities and Institutes.
- Computer research centres.
- Organizations like NASA.
- Software firms
- Finance consultant
- Tution classes.
Courses after 12th std
- B.A. Applied Maths/ B.A. Pure Maths/B.A. Industrial Maths/B.A. Applied Maths Eligibility: 12th std. pass Duration: 3 years Centers: Most of the reputed colleges in India.
Courses after Graduation:
- M.Sc. App. Maths/ M.Sc. Pure Maths/ Maths Computer Sc. and Data Processing/M.Sc. App. Maths Mathematical Economics Eligibility: Graduation in mathematics Duration: 2 years. Centers: Most of reputed Colleges and University in India.
- Master of Science in Applied Mathematics Duration: 2 years Centres:University of Calcutta, Kolkata http://www.caluniv.ac.in Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi http://www.bhu.ac.inl
- M. Tech in Applied Mathematics Duration: Two years Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee http://www.iitr.ac.in
- M.Phil (Maths) Eligibility: M.A./M.Sc. Maths Duration: 1-2 years Ph.D Eligibility: M.A./M.Sc./M.Phil Maths Duration: 1-2 years.
- Ph.D Maths Most of the reputed Universities have doctoral programme Doctoral research in Applied Mathematics University of Calcutta, Kolkata http://www.caluniv.ac.in Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi :http://www.bhu.ac.in
- Ammalai University annamalaiuniversity.ac.in
- Bharathiar University www.b-u.ac.in
- Dravidian University www.dravidianuniversity.ac.in
- Kamaraj University www.mkuniversity.org
- Madras University www.unom.ac.in
- MP Bhoj University www.bhojvirtualuniversity.com
- Periyar University www.periyaruniversity.ac.in
- Tamilnadu Open University www.tnou.ac.in
BA / MA Mathematics courses
- Annamalai University (Dual degree) annamalaiuniversity.ac.in
- Kakatiya University (BA and MA) www.kuwarangal.com/default.asp
- Karnataka Open University(BA) www.ksoumysore.com
- Nagarjuna University (BA) www.nagarjunauniversity.ac.in
- Osmania University (PG Diploma) www.osmania.ac.in
M.Phil in Mathematics
- Ambedkar University www.braou.ac.in
- Annamalai University annamalaiuniversity.ac.in
- Dravidian University www.dravidianuniversity.ac.in
PhD in Mathematics
Premier mathematics centers in India
- Chennai Mathematical Institute (CMI), Chennai. The institute also offers Junior Research Fellowships in the areas of theoretical/mathematical physics and mathematics (including theoretical computer science) leading to a Doctoral degree http://www.cmi.ac.in
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) www.math.tifr.res.in
- IIT Bombay www.iitb.ac.in and other IITs
- Mehta Research Institute of Mathematics and Mathematical Physics Allahabad www.mri.ernet.in
- Mathematical Association of America (MAA) www.mma-math.org
- GATE examination.
- UPSC Civil Services Examinations.
- MPSC Public Services Examinations.