Career In Clinical Research
- Actuarial science
- Aeroneutical Engineer
- Air force
- Air -Hostess
- Clinical Research
- Foreign Languages
- Home Science
- Information Technology
- Interior Design
- Tourism and Travels
Clinical Research (CR) related with drug use (as a therapeutic agent) with development of new drugs, new formulations, drug delivery systems, dosage regimen and safety. India has emerged as the clinical hub due to efficient and economical human resource, research facilities, cost-effectiveness, large and diverse patient pool and ever increasing private healthcare network.
Biopharmaceutical discovery generally involves a commitment of $350-400 million till the pre-clinical phase. So it is necessary to perform clinical trials. Global clinical research industry is about $20 billion. The clinical trials are conducted in India at one-fifth of the US cost so there is tremendous scope for clincal research outsourcing. Clinical research has become as a first career option for many career aspirants due to job profile, growth opportunities, work culture, challenges, remunerations and stability. By year 2012, Indian clinical research industry would be over $2 billion (Rs.9,000 crores) and there would be need of 50,000 clinical research professionals. A clinical research experience leads to get jobs in multinational and Indian pharmaceuticals, biotech companies, contract research organisations and in reputed hospitals. The countries like USA, Europe and Singapore offers excellent career opportunties in the field of clinical research.
In the field of clinical research, there is more demand of trained persons in clinical research and supply is less. As a result pharmaceutical companies and clinical research outsourcing centres offers bulky pay packages to trained clinical research aspirants. A diploma holder in clinical trials can start with Rs.18,000 to 35, 000 per month. A well trained and experienced person gets approx. Rs. 6 lakh-15 lakh per annum.
Clinical Research offers the most attractive career opportunities to the graduates and post graduates of life sciences, biochemistry, biotechnology, microbiology, MBBS, BDS, BAMS, BHMS, Pharmacy and Pharmacology. Applicant for the Clinical Research Associate (CRA) training program should be either Bachelor/Master/Ph.D. in a Science or Healthcare Professional (RN/ PA/ MD/ PT, RPh/ Pharm D/Medical Technologist). With a PG Diploma in Clinical Research, one can qualify to join the booming Clinical Research industry.
- Service mentality, stamina and patience.
- Power of concentration, emotional stability and self confidence.
- Logical and analytical mind.
- Decision making ability.
- Ability to learn new things.
- Amiable and sympathetic temperament.
- A strong sense of responsibility.
- Manual and finger dexterity.
If you record “Yes” for maximum questions then it indicates that you have potential for perusing career in the field of Clinical Research.
- Do I have ability of keen observations?
- Do I have documentation skills?
- Do I have service mentality?
- Do I have good physical and mental stamina?
- Do I maintain emotional stability and self-confidence in critical situation?
- Do I have ability to take timely and right decisions?
- Do I have an amiable and sympathetic temperament?
- Do I enjoy hospital environment?
- Do I like to work for several hours (8-12hrs or more) per day in hospital?
- Do I have analysing and interpreting skills?
- Do I have ability to work as a part of team and lead the team when required?
- Do I have statistical skills?
- A Clinical Research Associate i.e. CRA (Monitor) is a good career option. He/She conduct of the clinical trial to ensure the scientific integrity of the data collected. CRA look into the protection of the rights, safety and well-being of human study subjects. A CRA can work either in-house or in the field.
- The jobs are available in site-monitoring, site-management, clinical data management, data analysis, report writing, report submission, presentation and publication.
- Self employment: Very limited scope for self-employment. But one can start data entry firm, Clinical research consultancy and Outsourcing centre of clinical research.
- Clinical Research Associate (CRA)
- Laboratory technicians
- Clinical research assistants
- Clinical research outsourcing centre
- Clinical research institute.
- Pharmaceutical industries.
- Medical colleges.
- Medical Research institutes.
- Health departments.
Courses after graduation and post graduation:
- M.Sc. (Clinical Research) Duration: 2 years. Eligibility: B.Sc./M.Sc. in Life Science (Microbiology, Genetics, Biotechnology, Zoology, Chemistry, Nursing, Botany, Biochemistry), B Pharm./M Pharm./MBBS/ BDS/ BAMS/ BHMS/ BPT Centre: Instittute of Clinical Research India (ICRI) India. Mumbai, Delhi, Ahmadabad, Bangalore and Hyderabad.M.Sc. degree is awarded by Cranfield University U.K. & not recognised by AICTE/UGC www.icriindia.com
- Certified Clinical Research Professional (CCRP) course: Eligibility: B.Pharm./M.Pharm./MBBS/MD/ BDS /MDS/BPT/MPT /BAMS /BHMS/B.Sc./M.Sc.(Nursing/Microbiology/Biotechnology/ Life science /Genetics /Nutrition/Botany /Zoology). Duration: 12 weeks (4 modules tailored to meet the industry needs). Centre: Cliniminds - Academy for Clinical Research Training & Management.
- Master’s course in Epidemiology & Clinical Research in Oncology. Duration: 1 year Centre: Tata Memorial Centre, Mumbai. Further details: http://www.tmc.gov.in
- PG Diploma in Clinical Research Duration:12 months (4 hours on every Saturday). Centre: Institute of Clinical Research India www.icri.com
- Post Graduate Diploma in Clinical Trial Management(PGDCTM): Duration: 1 Year (full time). Centre: Bilcare Research Academy, Pune. Chennai, Bangalore, etc.
- Part-time PG Diploma in Clinical Research/ Clinical Data Management Duration: 6 months Centres: Altair Institute of Communication & Management Studies, Mumbai and Nucleus Institute of Clinical Research (NICR)
- Post Graduate Certificate course in Clinical Research and Clinical Data Management (CRCDM): Duration: 6 monthly (week end course). Centre: Bioinformatics Centre, University of Pune.http://clinicpune.org.
- Reliance Clinical Research Services (RCRS): Duration: six months training to work for positions in Navi Mumbai and Bangalore.
Distance courses/Correspondence courses
- Live training courses in Clinical research. www.iocbindia.org/livetraining.htm
- Institute of Clinical Research India, New Delhi. http://www.icriindia.com/aboutus.html
- Institute of Clinical Research India, Dehradun
- Tata Memorial Centre, Mumbai. www.tatamemorialcentre.com/research/dae.htm
- Institute of Clinical Research Education and Training, Mumbai. www.icreat.in
- Bilcare Research Institute www.bilcareacademy.com.
Online training institutes:
Clinical research institutes conducts their own test to select the suitable students.
- Fogarty International Clinical Research Scholars Support Centre. www.aamc.org
- Leukaemia Foundation, Windsor.www.leukaemia.org.au
- RANZCOG Research Foundation Fellowships & Scholarships, Melbourne. http://www.eastchance.com