Career In Information Technology
- Actuarial science
- Aeroneutical Engineer
- Air force
- Air -Hostess
- Clinical Research
- Foreign Languages
- Home Science
- Information Technology
- Interior Design
- Tourism and Travels
Information Technology (IT) covers alll aspects of managing and processing the information in any field one can imagine. IT provides jobs in various fields like office automation, telecommunication, computing and networking. Mangers, consultants, doctors, publishers, manufacturers, filmmakers, scientists and even housewives are highly depending on information systems. The developments in software, hardware and networking field has generated huge career opportunities. India has become worlds software hub. Various software giants like IBM, Motorola, Oracle, Samsung, HP, Digital, Unisys, AT&T, ICL, Fugitsu etc. have opened software development centres in India. Many Indian IT companies viz. Infosys, Wipro, NIIT, Zenith computers, STG, Pentafore Software, Mastek have become global brands. One of distinctive feature of IT is that the career aspirants of different backgrounds, aptitudes and interests find satisfying careers in the information technology.
National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) estimated that India would require 10,00,000 trained software professionals in few years. The number of professionals in this industry is believed to have crossed the 2 lakh mark and still there is a huge gap between the demand and supply of professionals. US alone requires around 3 lakh professionals. The present availability of very skilled professionals is only 5% of the required number. Our country export software to around 100 countries and about 65% of the world's software is produced in India. IT is expanding at exponential rate and offers exciting career avenues for the career aspirants.
IT professionals get a good amount of salary and incentives. The pay scales vary from job to job and depend on the level of qualification, experience, performance and company. The data entry staffs earn in the range of Rs 8000 to Rs 20,000 and so do the computer operator and supervisors. The pay scale in the programming jobs range from Rs 15000 to Rs 50,000 per month. At the Maintenance level one can earn around Rs 15,000 to Rs 80, 000 per month Software consultants can earn more than Rs 60,000 per month. At the Management level pay scales varies 60,0000 to Rs.1,50,000 per month. so are the salaries of those who are in research and development departments.
B.E/ M.E./B.Tech./BSc/M.Tech/M.E./M.Sc. are eligibility criteria for IT industry. For B.Tech in Software Engineering 12th Science pass and rank in Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) conducted by IITs. For B.E. good performance in All India Engineering Entrance Exam (AIEEE)/state/national level exams is essential. BCA/MCA/BSc. computer science/M.Sc. computer science also provides good job opportunities. Commerce students get numerous career opportunities in e-commerce. The hardware and networking degrees, diplomas and certificate courses are also important of getting good job opportunities. Degrees/Diplomas/certificate courses from internationally recognized IT Institutes are always desirable.
- Ability to focus and concentrate.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to make smart decisions.
- Ability to work hard and readiness to work for long hours.
- Logical thinking.
- Organizational and administrative skills.
- Good problem-solving ability.
- Mathematical precision.
- Design skills.
- Computer skills.
- Good planning ability and a knack for working under pressure.
- Ability to unite scientific discoveries with commercial applications to solve the problems.
- If you record “Yes” for maximum questions then it indicates that you have potential for perusing career in the field of Information technology.
- Do I have high intellectual capability?
- Do I am good in logical thinking?
- Do I have programming and data management skills?
- Do I have design skills?
- Do I have good manual, technical as well as mechanical aptitude?
- Do I have ability to get well with people.
- Do I have good communication skills?
- Am I ready to travel frequently and even in foreign countries?
- Do I like systematic way of working?
- Do I have ability to work independently?
- Do I have analysing and interpreting skills?
- Do I read latest scientific news, books and research magazines?
- Am I creative?
- Can I work for 10-14 hours per day as normal routine?
- Am I ready to learn and adopt new techniques?
- Do I like to work as a part of team?
- Do I have ability of problem solving?
- Do I have good planning ability and a knack for working under pressure?
There are virtually unlimited career opportunities are created.
- Research field.
- Film production.
- Natural resource management
- Health care
- Public services
- Virtual reality
There are numerous career opportunities in IT field.
- Animator/Graphic Designer
- Data entry persons
- Database administrator
- Software engineer/Programmer
- Hardware engineer
- Network administrator/mangers
- Sales manager (IT)
- Web Master/Web Designer /Web developers
- Embedded Systems Developer
- System analysts
- System analyst
- Computer trainers
- Software development firms
- IT Software services and export firms
- Software solutions firm
- Computer assembly centres
- Computer training institute
- Computer maintainace and servicing centres
- Marketing of computer software and hardware
- Net cafe
- Schools, Colleges and Universities.
- Research Centres. C-DAC
- Business firms, industries and companies.
- Government establishments
- National Information centres (NIC).
- New papers/magazines- Computer Science Columnist
- Educational content development firms.
- IT Software services and export companies: TCS, Wipro, HCL Technologies, MBT, HCL Perot, MASCOT Systems, Mastek, Birlasoft, Pentasoft, Tatainfotech, Infosys, PCS, iFLEX, NIIT, Digital Global soft, Polaris, Mphasis BFL, Hexaware, Infinite Computer Solutions, etc.
- Diploma in Animation Engineering Centres: Arena multimedia, Pune.
- MAAC- Maya Academy of Advanced Cinematics.
- Diploma in multimedia and web designing Centres: Edit institute, Arena multimedia
- Diploma in Geoinformatics Centre: Symbiosis Society Pune-1.
- Bachelor in Computer Applications (BCA) Course duration: 3 years. Centre: All reputed Colleges in India
- Bachelor in Science (B.Sc) with Computers Course duration: 3 years Centre: All reputed Colleges in India
- B.Tech/B.E Computers/IT Course duration: 4 years Centres: IITs and some reputed institutes.
- B-Tech. (Information and Communication Technology) Eligibility: 10+2 (Physics, Maths) Based on Ranking of AIEEE Centre: Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Technology, Gandhinagar, Gujarat. WWW.da.iict.org
- Degree courses in Computer hardware and Networking Centre: Jet king, Institute, Pune.
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Mathematics in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Computing in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Computer Security in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (B.Sc IT)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Web Development
- Bachelor’s Degree in Web Design & Multimedia
- Bachelor of Science in Web Application Development
- Bachelor of Science in Graphics and Multimedia Courses after Graduation
- B.Sc. Applied in Geographic Information system and Remote Sensing Course duration: 12 months. Centre: Department of Geography University of Pune, www.unipune.ernet.in/dept/geography
- M.Sc (Computers) Eligibility: Bachelors degree. Duration: 3 years Mode of admissions: Institutes criterion Centre: Reputed Universities and colleges.
- Masters of Computer Applications (MCA) Eligibility: Bachelors degree. Duration: 3 yrs Centres: Reputed Universities and colleges and many private institutes
- Masters of Computer Management (MCM) Eligibility: Graduate possessing 45% marks from any faculty. Duration: 2 years Centres: Reputed Universities and colleges and many private institutes.
- MBA programme in Advanced Information technology Centre: International Institute of Information Technology (I2IT). Pune Infotech Park, Hinjawadi, Pune-57.
- Master of Business Administration in Computer Information Systems.
- Master of Science in Computer Information Systems (MSIS).
- Master of Software Engineering
- Master of Science in Software Engineering
- Master of Science in Computer Engineering
- Master of Science in Network Security Master of Philosophy (M.Phil): Eligibility: M.Sc. Course Duration: 1-2 year Centre: Pune University Computer sciences Dept. Many reputed Universities offer M.Phil programmes.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) Eligibility: M.Sc. Course duration: 2-6 years Mode of admission: NET/CSIR entrance. Or Under research projects or self funded. Centers: All reputed Universities/Foreign Universities.
- Doctor of Science (D.Sc.) Eligibility: 2 Years after Ph.D./3 Years after Master's Degree/ 6 Years after Bachelor's Degree and after research in approved topic by thesis. For further details: www.unipune.ernet.in/stud_info All reputed Universities
Courses offered by C-DAC
- Diploma in Advanced Computing (DAC)
- Diploma in Embedded Systems Design Course (DESD)
- Diploma in Geo-informatics Course (DIG)
- Diploma in Information Technology (DIT)
- Advanced Diploma in Information Technology (ADIT)
- Diploma in VLSI Design (DVLSI)
- Co-curricular Diploma in Advanced Computing
- Diploma in Advanced Computer Arts (DACA)
- Multimedia & Computer Arts Certificate
- Pune Institute of Computer Technology, Pune.
- Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC), Pune. www.cdac.in
- National Multimedia Resource Centre, Pune
- Center for Development of Advanced Computing (E-governance Group) Pune
The Department of Electronics Accredited Computer Courses (DOEACC) Society O, A, B, C level courses. www.doeacc.edu.in
Abroad fellowships and scholarships
1. BPO’s BPO is a major employer in the services sector. The starting salary of an employer in the BPO is higher that is why majority of youth are attracted towards this job. Skills: Good convincing skills, fluency in English, good incite about customer relations, etc. Voice accent test is compulsory. Remuneration: Rs.9000/- 35,000 Companies: Goldman, Saches, Accenture, Macromedia, Adobe and many more.
2. Animation industry: Animation is used in movies, TV programmes (42.5%), Sport development (14%), Education (7%), Advertisement (6%), Constructions (4%) and Engineering (3%). Many companies are using this for prospectus, charts, video-shooting, to teach technical studies, project presentations, slide shows, charts, OHP, site visits, object drawing, solid geometry, robotics, etc. Indian animation industry has more than 60% of share in Asian market.
3. Knowledge Process Outsourcing (KPO): It is a form of outsourcing, in which knowledge-related and information-related work is carried out to save cost. KPOs mainly offer research and backend work. In KPOs typically high-value work carried out by highly skilled staff. KPO will provide the high-end services like research and development, business and technical analysis, learning solutions, animation and design, business and market research, pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, medical services, writing and content development, legal services, intellectual property (IP) research, data analytics, network management, training and consultancy. KPO offers higher salaries (three to four times higher than BPO companies), international facilities, provide exposure to global industry.
4.Careers in Computer Aided Design (CAD): Computer-aided design (CAD) is use of a wide range of computer based tools that assist engineers, architects and other design professions in their design activities. It is extensively used in the design of tools and machinery as well as in the drafting and design of all types of buildings, houses, hospitals, factories, etc. It lowers product development costs and a greatly shortened design cycle. Qualified professionals find employment in manufacturing units, research and developmental firms and other related companies. Eligibility: A course on CAD (3-6 months duration). Graduates in science and engineering are preferred. Degree or Diploma in Engineering or ITI pass certificate in mechanical/automobile or electrical branch of engineering can pursue course in CAD/CAM. The salary in this field is high Rs.30, 000 – Rs.80, 000 per month depending upon his/her expertise in the field. These courses are offered by many private and public training centres.
5. Cyber laws: Cyber Law is requires knowledge of technology and law. A lawyer or a non-lawyer, an MBA or a B.E., a CA or an ICS can take cyber law courses. Remuneration: Rs 10,000-Rs 90,000. Consultancy pays better than litigation. Courses: Diploma courses are offered by www.cyberlawcollege.com ( online), NALSAR University, Hydrabad;