Warning: Undefined array key 0 in /home/carrergu/careerguru.biz/Accounting.php on line 51
Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/carrergu/careerguru.biz/Accounting.php on line 51
- Actuarial science
- Aeroneutical Engineer
- Air force
- Air -Hostess
- Clinical Research
- Foreign Languages
- Home Science
- Information Technology
- Interior Design
- Tourism and Travels
Travel and Tourism is the world’s largest industry in terms of employment. In India tourism provides employment to millions of people directly and indirectly (through associated service industries). Tourism and Hospitality is the fastest growing industry in the world and creates 7.2 million new jobs every year. According to Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Report survey revealed that the GDP for Indian travel and tourism industry will increase by 7.7 % every year up to the next ten to fifteen years. With the growth of e-commerce and globalization, a wide variety of career opportunities have emerged in the meeting and convention arrangements, event planning, travel, gaming, transportations, airline, recreation and food and beverage fields. This industry broadly covers the areas like hotels, restaurants and tourist complexes; travel agencies; tour operators; transport facilities for tourists; amusement, entertainment and sports units for tourist and units providing cultural, adventure and wildlife experiences to tourist. In India there are wide opportunities to make career in tourism and travel. The work in the industry essentially involves providing services like boarding, lodging and travelling to people who are away from home, either on business or on holiday. The jobs are available in Government tourism departments, immigration and customs services, travel agencies, airlines, hotels, etc. Travel and tourism is industry is expanding due to the communication revolution and also due to some special efforts of Governments.
Career opportunities exist both in the public and private sector. In the public sector, there are opportunities in the Directorates and Departments of Tourism of the centre and the state as officers, information assistants, tourist guides etc. A good prospectus for qualified tourism professionals is also in the private sector. The increased number of private airlines and their emerging tie-ups with foreign airlines has resulted in easy flow of domestic and foreign tourists in the country. The potential of this industry not fully tapped until now. In this emerging industry very few qualified and experienced persons are available. The career in this industry is very interesting, challenging, highly remunerative and also provides opportunity for sightseeing. According to a study, India will become third biggest country in tourism in next 10 years. The number of international tourists has increased. According to World Tourism Organisation estimates the number of foreign visitors is going to hit 1.5 billion in the next 20 years. Annually the industry earns Rs 14,000 crores in foreign exchange for the exchequer. To benefit from the ever-expanding travel and tourism industry of India, many agents have established Tours and Travel Companies in India. These companies provide attractive tour packages to families, individuals, honeymoon couples, and others to different part of the world.
The jobs in the travel and tourism industry offer good remuneration and some facilities. It mainly depends on at what level the one wants to function. The salaries/commissions may vary within the industry and definitely higher in foreign airlines and agencies as compared to local companies. In peak seasons one can expect more money. The persons who are having their own agencies earn hefty amounts.
It mainly depends on at what level the one wants to function. There are certification courses, diploma courses, graduate level and Post-graduate level courses available to pursue in this industry. It is desirable to have a degree of Master of Tourism Administration (MTA). A post- graduate degree can be helpful in getting into managerial and administrative positions in the industry. The certificate of International Air transport Association (IATA) is need for air-travel and cargo industry. Several reputed travel agencies offer short-term training programmes in travels and tourism. The proficiency in the different regional and foreign languages is essential. Officers in the Directorate and Departments of Tourism are recruited among the candidates from the Civil/administrative services of the State and Central governments. A degree in travel and tourism is required for operational jobs in government organisations. Information assistants at the office of the Tourism departments are selected through competitive examinations held by the Staff Selection Commission. The eligibility is graduation with knowledge of Indian history, art and architecture and proficiency in English is essential. The Ministry of Tourism recognises three types of guides, regional, state and local. A regional guide gets a license from the Ministry of Tourism.
- Good communication skills.
- An outgoing friendly personality.
- Ability to handle people.
- Organising ability.
- Aptitude for languages and proficiency in English.
- An ability to make quick decisions and problem solving.
- Better understanding of team work dynamics.
- Ability to learn new things quickly.
- Good knowledge of history and ancient architecture.
If you record “Yes” for maximum questions then it indicates that you have potential for perusing career in the field of Tourism and travels.
- Do I have a good communication skills?
- Do I have outgoing friendly personality?
- Do I have ability to handle the persons tactfully?
- Do I read latest scientific news, books and research magazines?
- Do I have a creative mind and deep thinking?
- Do I study for 10-12 hours per day as normal routine?
- Do I have organizing ability?
- Do I have aptitude for languages and proficiency in English?
- Do I take prompt decisions?
- Do I have problem solving ability?
- Do I have better understanding of team work dynamics?
- Do I learn new things quickly?
- Do I have interest and good knowledge of history and ancient architecture?
- Do I like to travel to far off places?
Tourism and travel is a service-based industry and requires professionals and specialists skilled in various disciplines. The work in this industry is essentially providing services like boarding, lodging and travelling to tourist.
- Career options in Tourism department: There many job opportunities such as reservation and counter staff, sales and marketing staff, tour planners and tour guides, etc. Officers in the Directorate and Departments of Tourism are recruited from public services from services of State and Central governments. Information assistants at the office of Tourism departments are selected through competitive examinations held by the Staff Selection Commission.
- Tour operators: They organise conducted tours to the various tourist spots and manage the travel and stay of the tourists. There are many companies operating tours for the domestic as well as the international tourist. Some may be for the usual destinations like hill stations but others are for unusual activities like river rafting, hang gliding, rock climbing and camping. A pleasing and outgoing personality is essential. A person hoping to work with a tour operator must be able to travel with the groups and know people at the destinations to make the tours pleasant for the client. The jobs could be seasonal in some cases.
- Travel agencies: Travel agents assess the needs of tourists and help them to make the best possible travel arrangements from the many travel options available. Many resorts, travel groups use travel agents to promote their tour packages to travellers. They deal with almost everything connected with travel including the shortest route to the destination, travel mode, the important documents that will be required (visa, passport, vaccination certificates, etc.), suitable places to stay, current exchange rates, tourist attractions to visit, climate and they will plan the trip keeping in mind the clients' preferences, budgets and special needs. In travel agencies there are openings for reservation and counter staff, sales and marketing staff, tour escorts and tour operators, cargo and courier agencies, etc. A short term course or a diploma in travel and tourism will helpful. Most travel agencies demands persons have a pleasing personality and the ability to deal with customers. A knowledge of destinations and procedures help a great deal.
- Hotels: The hotel Industry is basically a service industry that provides food and accommodation to visitors. It is one which requires a large amount of manpower with a wide variety of skills. In India about 1, 80,000 vacancies are expected to be filled within the next decade. Hotel offers career opportunities in its various departments such as operations, front office, housekeeping, food and beverages, accounting, maintenance, sales, public relations, security, etc. One can enter this field through a direct entry in some departments or through hotel management institutes. There are many institutes that offer hotel management courses. Many hotels also offer overseas training opportunities.
- Transport: Travel facilities include rail services, airlines, coach operators, car hire companies, cruise ships services, etc. Air-travel is becoming very popular and affordable now a day. In the airlines, one can work as traffic assistance, reservation and counter staff, airhostess and flight pursers, sales and marketing staff and customer services. A course in travel and tourism or a qualification on Hotel management is preferable. The domestic and international airlines such as Air India, Indian airlines, Jet airways, Air Sahara, British Airways, Kingfisher, Cathay Pacific, Emirates, and Singapore Airlines, etc. offer employment opportunities with attractive salaries and numerous benefits.
- Airlines’ staff
- Cabin Crew
- Front Office Executive
- Front office manager
- Information assistant
- Junior Travel Executive
- Lobby Manager
- Operations Executive
- Reservations Executive
- Ticketing Assistant
- Tour Management Executive
- Tour Operation Managers
- Tour operator
- Tourist guide
- Trainee Travel Consultant
- Transport officer
- Travel agent
- Visa Executive/Immigration Consultant
- Air Travel Enterprise India
- Andhra Pradesh Travel and Tourism Development Corporation www.aptourism.in
- Ashlex Tourism www.ashextourism.com
- Cherai Hotels www.cheraihotels.com
- Club Mahindra Holidays
- Compass Tours India
- Cox and Kings (India) Limited www.coxandkings.com
- Department of Tourism, Government of Kerala www.keralatourism.org
- Galileo International
- Good Wind Travels Pvt Ltd
- Indian Airlines www.indian-airlines.nic.in
- Kuoni Travels Group India
- Prime travels
- Raj Travels
- STOC Tours
- TajSATS Air Catering Ltd. www.tajsats.com
- The Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation Limited (IRTC) www.railtourismindia.com
- Thomas Cook India
- Tourism Finance Corporation of India Ltd. www.tfciltd.com
The minimum qualification required for getting into fresher jobs in travel and tourism is that candidates should have passed Higher Secondary examination.
- Certificate Course in Tourism Studies
- Certificate Course in Travel & Tourism
- Basic course in Airlines, Travel Agency.
- Basic course in Foreign Language Courses.
- Basic course in Tour Operation Management
- Basic Course on Air Travel Fares and Ticketing
- Basic Course on Computer Application in Tourism and Travel Agency
- Diploma in Tourism and Hotel Management
- Bachelor Degree in Hotel Management & Tourism
- Bachelor in Tourism Studies
- Master Degree in Hotel Management & Tourism
- Master of Tourism Administration (MTA)
- PG Diploma in Travel and Tourism
- Tourism Diploma in Hotel Management & Catering Technology
Courses are conducted by IITTM, New Delhi www.iittm.org
- Certification course in cargo industry. As per specification of International Air transport Association (IATA), a World Organisation which provides recognised standard in training to travel, tourism and cargo industry.
- Diploma in Travel and Tourism Management. Duration: 1 year Eligibility- 12th pass
- Advance Diploma in Travel and Tourism Management. Duration: 1 years Eligibility- Graduation
- B.Com Travel and Tourism Duration: 3 years Eligibility- 12th pass
- MBA Travel and tourism Duration: 3 years Eligibility- Graduation
- Masters in Travel and Tourism Duration: 2 years Eligibility- Graduation Centres: IITM and some universities
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Travel and Tourism Duration: 1 years Eligibility- Graduation
- International Air transport Association (IATA), is a World Organisation which provides recognised standard in training to travel, tourism and cargo industry. Courses conducted IATA are, IATA/UFTAA Standard (Entry Level), Advanced and Travel Agents Marketing Courses, IATA/FIATA Cargo Agents Introductory, International Air Cargo Rating, Dangerous Goods Refresher courses.
- IITTM offers training courses in different aspects of travel and tourism management. It runs a 24-month diploma course in Tourism Management at Gwalior and mode of admission is entrance exam. Other courses offered by the institute include destination management, language courses, wildlife tourism management etc. For the courses, entrance examination, sample question papers visit the website www.iittm.org. Two year PG courses and one year PG Diploma (part time or correspondence) are available at various universities/institutes. Indira Gandhi National Open University conducts Bachelor in Tourism Studies through distance education for 10+2 pass. Jamia Millia Islamia Delhi offers two-year PG diploma program in Cultural Heritage and Tourism. Number of Universities like Delhi University offers tourism as a subject.
Many Universities and Institutes are providing various courses in travel and tourism like degree, diploma and certification courses.
- Indian Institute of Travel and Tourism Management (IITTM) Delhi, Gwalior, Bhubaneswar, Goa, Nellore www.iittm.org
- Kerala Institute of Tourism & Travel Studies, Trivandrum www.kittstour.org
- Jamia Millia Islamia Delhi www.jmi.nic.in
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, New Delhi www.bvbdelhi.org
- Tezpur University, Assam www.tezu.ernet.in
- Jiwaji University, Gwalior www.jiwaji.edu
- Himachal Pradesh University, Himachal Pradesh www.hpuniv.nic.in
- A.H.A. Air Hostess Academy Private Limited, New Delhi, Hyderabad www.airhostessacademy.com
- Heritage Institute of Hotel and Tourism, Agra www.hihtworld.com
- Asia Pacific Institute of Management, Ahmedabad www.asiapacific.edu
- Blooms College of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Hyderabad www.bloomscollege.org
- A.I.H.M.(A.B.H.I. Institute of Hospitality Management), New Delhi www.aihm.in
- Kuoni Academy of Travel, India www.kuoniacademy.co.in
1. Careers in Ecotourism: It is consecrated for preserving and sustaining the diversity of the world's natural and cultural environments. It is typically travel to destinations where the flora, fauna and cultural heritage are the primary attractions. It is the "responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment and improves the well-being of local people. Eco-tourism is considered the fastest growing market in the tourism industry, according to World Tourism Organization with an annual growth rate of 5% worldwide and representing 6% of the world gross domestic product, 11.4% of all consumers spending. There are many places in India are popular for ecotourism purpose viz. resorts tucked deep inside jungles of Karnataka, house-boats of Kerala, tree Houses at Vythiri, etc.
- Eco-Tourism Pioneers in Kerala www.tourindiakerala.com
- Jungle Lodges and Resorts www.junglelodges.com
- The Himalayan Trout House - Tirthan, Himachal Pradesh - www.questrails.com
- The Camp Kyari (one of the finest models of Eco-tourism in the country) - Village Kyari, Ramnagar -www.wildrift.com
- Camp Silver Sands - Rishikesh, Uttaranchal Camp Lunagarh - Mori, Uttaranchal - www.treknraft.com
- The Himalayan River Runner Camp - Rishikesh, Uttaranchal - www.hrr.com
- The OAI Camp - Rishikesh, Uttaranchal - www.oai.com
- The Leopard Beach Camp-Rishikesh,Uttaranchal- www.snowleopardadventures.com
Courses in Ecotourism
- Industry Specific Certificate Program: Eco-Tourism Global Institute of Management Technology www.gimt.org.in/index.php
- M.Sc. Forestry (Eco- Tourism) Dr. Pajabrao Deshmukh Krishi Vidyapeeth Akola (Maharashtra) www.pdkv.ac.in
- Global Open University, Nagaland www.nagaland.net.in
2. Careers in Medical/Heath Tourism: It is a developing concept where a patient travels to another country for medical treatment in order to save costs, to get treatment faster or even to avail of better medical facilities. India offers some of the cheapest pricing options of treatment and offers a good holiday packages. Millions of people come every year to get treated and then enjoy their recuperative holidays across. India provides world class medical facilities The various diseases for which overseas patients look India as a hot destination for medical procedure includes serious ailments which require neuro surgery, ophthalmic disorders, heart related problems, renal disorders, organ transplantation, congenital disorders, gene therapy, radio therapy, plastic surgery, joint replacement and so on. Indian traditional treatments like Ayurvedic therapies are also popular among overseas patients. The many patients from developed country come to "life style diseases" such as stress and rheumatism. The state of kerala, is famous for ayurvedic treatment. India over 150000 medical tourists visits each year and this figure is rising at a high pace. The Medical Tourism Industry in India is poised to be the next big success story after software.
Scope: It is estimated that the annualized growth of the medical tourism market about 30%. India’s medical tourism is expected to be a $2.2-billion industry by 2012. According to a Mckinsey-CII study the market size is estimated to be Rs.5000-10000 Crores by 2012. The medical tourism is increasing due to low cost, strong reputation in the advanced healthcare segment (cardiovascular surgery, organ transplants and eye surgery) and the diversity of tourist destinations available in the country. In a survey of 134 countries ‘Lonely Planet’ India has been rated among the top five favourite destinations. Forbes says “India is one of the world’s fastest growing travel markets".
Skills and personal attributes: Good communication skill, Good knowledge of pharmacy, medical, nursing, life sciences and other allied areas a basic to advanced level. The better understanding about hospital treatment, travel management, accommodation booking, sight-seeing and medical packaging services is essential.
Career Opportunities for Medical Tourism: The students, who make a good blend of these two professions namely medical tourism and hospital administration, have better openings in their career. The patients from other nation find it difficult and tiresome to seek proper guidance in a foreign country. To ease this, the travel agency can act as a facilitator between patients / visitors and various hospitals supporting various options available based on the required treatment and other services. Hospitals that offer treatment for foreign patients can tie up with the travel agencies. Hospitals employ an individual who has graduated in tourism and travel management. The role of them is to guide the patients from abroad in choosing the best hospital along with routine work as a guide to excursion areas.
Courses in medical tourism
- Medical tourism (MT) course ICRI www.icri.org
- Medical tourism Duration: 6 months online study Eligibility: Any graduate from a recognized university including graduates of medicine in allopathy, homeopathy, ayurveda, unani, dentistry, paramedical sciences, physiotherapy, or allied health sciences. Centre: Medvarsity, Hyderabad www.medvarsity.com The hospital management courses will be useful for core knowledge of subject
- M.S. Hospital Administration & Management, A joint venture by KMCH, Tamilnadu, India and St. Joseph University, Philadelphia, USA.
- M.Sc., Hospital Administration, Dr.N.G.P Arts and Science College, Coimbatore - 35 and Tiruppur Kumaran College for Women, Tiruppur, affiliated to Bharathiar University, Coimbatore - 641 046.
- MBA in Hospital Administration Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, Tamilnadu.
- M.Sc., Health Care and Hospital Administration, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli, Tamilnadu. (the above lists are indicative).
- MBA Health Management, Sri Ramachandra Medical College, Chennai.
Further details about medical tourism www.indian-medical-tourism.com